The Supreme Court of South Carolina
RE: Amendment to the South Carolina Appellate Court Rules
Pursuant to Article V, § 4 of the South Carolina Constitution, the South Carolina Appellate Court Rules are amended to add the attached rule. This amendment shall be effective immediately.
s/Jean H. Toal C.J.
s/Costa M. Pleicones J.
s/Donald W. Beatty J.
s/John W. Kittredge J.
s/Kaye G. Hearn J.
Columbia, South Carolina
March 11, 2015
BULK DISTRIBUTION OF AND COMPILED
INFORMATION FROM JUDICIAL RECORDS
(a) For the purpose of this rule:
(1) Bulk distribution is defined as a distribution of all, or a significant subset, of the information in judicial records, as is and without modification or compilation.
(2) Compiled information is defined as information that is derived from the selection, aggregation or reformulation of the information from more than one individual judicial record.
(3) Judicial records shall include all records maintained by any court, commission, board, committee, office or other entity within the South Carolina Judicial Department, regardless of whether that entity is funded in whole or part by state or local funds.
(b) Unless authorized by the Supreme Court of South Carolina, a bulk distribution of judicial records will not be made.
(c) Unless authorized by the Supreme Court of South Carolina, compiled information from judicial records will not be provided. This restriction shall not apply to:
(1) Compiled information that may be contained in statistical or other reports that have been previously released to the general public.
(2) Compiled information that can be obtained by a person using the search functions available to the public on websites maintained by the South Carolina Judicial Department.