The Supreme Court of South Carolina
In the Matter of James Marshall Biddle, Petitioner.
Appellate Case No. 2021-000618
This Court suspended Petitioner from the practice of law for a period of three years and imposed certain conditions on Petitioner's future practice should he be reinstated to the practice of law. In re Biddle, 412 S.C. 630, 773 S.E.2d 590 (2015). On June 16, 2021, Petitioner filed a petition for reinstatement pursuant to Rule 33, RLDE, Rule 413, SCACR. After referral to the Committee on Character and Fitness (Committee), the Committee has filed a report and recommendation recommending the Court reinstate Petitioner to the practice of law.
We find Petitioner has met the requirements of Rule 33(f), RLDE. Therefore, we grant the petition for reinstatement upon the following conditions:
1) Within thirty days, Petitioner shall:
a. hire a law office management advisor approved by the Commission on Lawyer Conduct (Advisor);
b. obtain a mentor approved by the Commission on Lawyer Conduct (Mentor); and
c. submit to the Commission on Lawyer Conduct proof that his 2022 annual license fees have been paid to the South Carolina Bar.
2) Within thirty days of retaining the Advisor, Petitioner shall meet with the Advisor to conduct a thorough review of his law office management practices.
3) Within thirty days of the date of the review, the Advisor shall file a report concerning Petitioner's law office management practices with the Commission on Lawyer Conduct; the report shall include a review, analysis, and recommendations concerning Petitioner's practice.
4) Petitioner shall meet with the Mentor and the Advisor at least once every three months for a period of two years.
5) The Mentor and the Advisor shall file a complete report with the Commission on Lawyer Conduct within thirty days of each meeting.
6) Petitioner shall be responsible for payment of the Advisor and Mentor, if applicable, and Petitioner shall be responsible for timely submission of the Advisor's and Mentor's reports.
7) Within one year, Petitioner shall complete the Legal Ethics and Practice Program Ethics School and submit proof of completion to the Commission on Lawyer Conduct within thirty days of completion.
Petitioner's failure to comply with any of these conditions or with the Advisor's recommendations shall constitute grounds for further discipline.
s/Donald W. Beatty C.J.
s/John W. Kittredge J.
s/John Cannon Few J.
s/George C. James, Jr. J.
Hearn, J., not participating.
Columbia, South Carolina
April 29, 2022