FILING AND SERVICE
(a) Filing. Except for petitions for rehearing (Rule 221) and motions for reinstatement (Rule 260), filing may be accomplished by:
(1) Delivering the document to the clerk of the appellate court. The date of filing shall be the date of delivery;
(2) Depositing the document in the U.S. mail, properly addressed to the clerk of the appellate court, with sufficient first class postage attached. The date of filing shall be the date of mailing; or,
(3) Filing the document by electronic means in a manner provided by order of the Supreme Court of South Carolina.1
(b) Proof of Service to Be Filed. Any document filed with the appellate court shall be accompanied by proof of service showing the document has been served on all parties.
(c) Service. Whenever under these Rules service is required or permitted to be made upon a party represented by an attorney the service shall be made upon the attorney unless service upon the party is ordered by the appellate court. Service upon the attorney or upon a party shall be made by:
(1) Delivering a copy to the person, in which case service is complete upon delivery. Delivery of a copy under this provision means: handing it to the attorney or to the party; or leaving it at the office of that person with a clerk or other person in charge thereof; or, if there be no one in charge, leaving it in a conspicuous place therein; or, if the office is closed or the person to be served has no office, leaving a copy at the person's dwelling place or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein;
(2) Depositing a copy in the U.S. mail, properly addressed to the person at that person's last known address with sufficient first class postage attached, or, if no address is known, by leaving it with the clerk of the appellate court. Service by mail is complete upon mailing; or,
(3) Serving a copy on the person by electronic means in a manner provided by order of the Supreme Court of South Carolina.
Last amended by Order dated April 29, 2021.
1 The Supreme Court's August 25, 2021, order establishing the methods for the electronic filing and service of documents under this paragraph and paragraph (c)(3) is available at: https://www.sccourts.org/whatsnew/displayWhatsNew.cfm?indexId=2621.