South Carolina Courts Observe National Adoption Day
COLUMBIA, S.C. (Nov. 26, 2019) – Supreme Court of South Carolina Chief Justice Donald W. Beatty authorized six judges to preside over Adoption Day proceedings, which took place Monday, Nov. 25. During these special terms of court, approximately 80 children were adopted into 60 families.
The following judges heard adoption cases in their respective counties:
- Anderson County – Family Court Judge Edgar H. Long
- Charleston County – Family Court Judge Michèle Patrão Forsythe
- Greenville County – Family Court Judge Katherine H. Tiffany
- Horry County – Family Court Judge Melissa J. Buckhannon
- Sumter County – Circuit Court Judge George M. McFaddin Jr.
- York County – Family Court Judge David G. Guyton
“Adoptions are among the most important cases heard in the family courts, and it is right for the Judicial Branch to make these cases a priority,” said Chief Justice Beatty. “We at the Judicial Branch are pleased to play a role in helping provide stability and security for children.”
Statistics available to the South Carolina Judicial Branch indicate 1,688 adoption cases were filed statewide during Fiscal Year 2018 – 19.
In South Carolina, Family Court has exclusive jurisdiction over all adoption proceedings pursuant to S.C. Code Ann. § 63-9-40(A).